Tags


Monday, August 17, 2009

Inconceivable Angeliska Polacheck

This is amazing how Spider-Life spins its weirdest web of human connections and coincidences!

You can go to the networking events, vigorously attend museums, exhibitions and charity events and yet don’t find more or less interesting people you’d enjoy talking to for more than five minutes. And then BAM! You meet someone special at the most unexpected place. For example, at the restroom. That’s how I met Angeliska Polacheck, a wonderful artist and a beautiful woman, who turns a daily life into a pure magic.

It was Ray Donley’s art opening at the Russell Collection: people were passing by with arrogant look, emanating pomposity. Ray was running late and while I was waiting for him to congratulate with a wonderful show, I sneaked to the restroom to fix my lipstick. Angeliska was already there, and she asked if I have a safety pin to repair her zipper. It was an immediate click. First of all, both of us looked different from the rest of the crowd. While I was wearing a silk evening dress with green jewelry, she was dressed up in black & creamy white striped costume with a beautiful rosette in her hair. I wish I had a picture from that evening! And secondly, I think any artistic soul will always spot out another artist within a mile. I met Amelia at that event later on, but it is a story for another blog post.

Sometimes I think that Alice left her Wonderland and reincarnated in Angeliska. What I know for sure is that Angel (that’s how friends call her) has an ability to create a fairy tale everywhere. Together with her friends, she started Gadjo Disco parties a several years ago. She moved back to Austin from New Orleans after hurricane Katrina, and became an avid contributor to the piggy bank of Austin Weirdness. Gadjo Disco, vintage parties and extravagant parades is a short list of events where Angel likes to dwell. I heard from our mutual friend that Angel is a great visual artist as well. She hasn’t shown me her paintings yet, and I guess my best discoveries of Angel’s creativity are still to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment