Tags


Saturday, August 1, 2009

How I met Chris Levack

I saw a video featuring Chris Levack on the News 8 Austin by a complete accident. I lived happily without a TV set for almost three years, and it has been the most peaceful and tranquil time in my life. I am a firm believer that news, penetrated with the stories of murders, crimes and disasters, ruin our piece and distort the perception of reality. Nevertheless, I was destined to see that news block since it was the first video that popped up on youtube when I typed “austin artist.”

We met with Chris on Wednesday, July 29th. He greeted me with a cheerful smile and open arms at his studio, filled with machinery, tools, metal and wood. Chris Levack is Austin-based artist who created the Pollen Grain and Wigwam sculptures for the Mullen Park in Austin. Lately he was commissioned by the City of Austin to design a public art piece for the skating park. “Of course I always had a dream to leave landmarks, and it is just a beginning,” said Chris. He showed me the skeleton of a giant steel Wave sculpture that he is making for Austin skaters. Even though I never skated in my entire life, I am looking forward to take a slide on this Wave when the sculpture will be installed at the House Park Skate Plaza.

Chris said it took him more than 15 years to get his first piece commissioned by the Panel of Art in Public Places Program. His advice to the young artists craving for recognition and fame: “You can start with smaller gigs first, then work your way along - get your teeth cut.”

To learn more about Chris Levack and his art, go to www.texassculpture.com

No comments:

Post a Comment